Saturday, April 3, 2010

anything you want....

If I had a midget walk into my room tonight with a little glass shaped box that had a glowing question mark in it, and proceeded to ask me the question in a very high pitched voice "If you could do anything in this world, what would you do? say it and it will be so" I would scoop that wee lil guy up and yell at the top my lungs......"Be a late night talk show host"

poof

I'm in Dave Letterman's striped suit, making funny motions that would make the people laugh. I would talk to Paul and we would laugh like old friends.

Thats it. Right there. If I was granted a career wish that is what I would do. I've wanted to do this since college when I would stay up late watching letterman. I kept thinking, that is something I would be able to wake up every morning and be really excited about.

A couple years ago I had the idea to find a way to make this come true.....somewhat. I came up with the idea of creating my own talk show that I could use for my classes. I would write, film, and produce my own shows and use them in class as a teaching tool. My idea was to have different shows represent different chapters. So lets say I'm doing a chapter on the assassination of JFK. I would walk out and make some lame time period reference jokes like.....

"man it's hot today......isn't it folks? It's so hot JFK decided against the use of the air conditioning for the natural breeze of Texas"

ok maybe that was bad. But you get my point. In the monologue I would teach them facts. Then I would have a top ten list. Like the Top Ten Reasons Why Dallas Won't Host a Presidential Motorcade Anytime Soon.

The rest of the show would be interviews with people. I could interview LBJ. Either thru real archived footage, or thru a picture and put the fake lips in for his real ones like Conan does. I could have a person dress up as Chief Justice Earl Warren, who the "Warren Commission" was named after that investigated the assassination. Nobody really knows what he looks like off hand so i could dress up anyone.

I would have commercials interrupt us that were time period relevant, like fashion, new inventions of the time, etc..... Likewise the musical guest would be music from that time.

I think this is something I could wake up and be really excited about doing. The issue(s) here:
1. Time- when would I have the time to do all this?
2. The Set- where would I have a place like this to film and make it actually look decent.
3. Bust or Great?- Could I do it. I mean could I actually be witty enough to write worthwhile shows and execute the acting.
4. Learn- Would my kids actually learn from it? Would it accomplish the goal I wanted.


If the answer is yes to all of those. Maybe I could sell the idea, retire, and watch Letterman reruns.

3 comments:

Lides said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lides said...

An instant classic! You know I laughed out loud. Regarding the overall concept, go for it. Don't look at it as an all or nothing; develop one talk show per quarter and look at it as a long term project for implementation. Maybe you could put it in an online format. :)

Mike McDonough said...

You ain't crazy! The old Wise would do it.