Sunday, July 25, 2010

Traditions

A tradition is 1 a : an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior.
I love traditions. I used to think I loved individual things that kept on repeating and I would get all excited when they were coming up. Then I realized that I simply loved the fact that I had these things to look forward to, traditions. I've come up with a set of rules that I categorize traditions with, because the last thing I want is someone saying they have a tradition when it's not.
  • A tradition to me is something that is done in an even amount of time spaced out, with a minimum of a year in between. This means the un-named tradition has to be annually or every two years, etc..
  • A tradition has to be something that can happen each time.....don't be a tradition poser and say that you have a tradition such as watching the buckeyes win a national championship. That is out of your control, therefore it can't be a tradition.
  • A tradition can't be forced. It has to happen naturally. You can't be in the planning stage and someone says...."You know what richard...we should make this a tradition.." No, no, no. A tradition is something that you retrospectively look back on and can use as an excuse to your spouse by saying "Sweetie, I have to....it's a TRADITION".
  • It has to be positive. A tradition can't be a negative thing. You can't have a tradition where you get together with buddies and re-enact the time your buddy got the nickname iron nuts.
  • It can't be a national tradition. You can't say "We are eating turkey on thanksgiving".
I have a few traditions that I want to share with you. If you have a tradition I would love for you to share it with me on the comment section. I want to bask in your tradition rich lifestyle.

Findlay Four Golf Outing- this is a group of 4 guys that went to college together and get together at least once a year to play in a golf outing. We used to play poker on a regular basis, but we have been spread out. This tradition started in Tiffin when we played in the hall of fame outing and has been moved around over the years. We missed one year, which put my tradition in jeopardy, however, due to a tradition clause....a one year absence is ok, only for a birth or a death. A birth happened last year.

We had many traditions in high school. Every thursday night before our games on friday we met on the 50 yard line at 10:00 p.m. We talked about the game tomorrow and what it would be like to meet here in the playoffs. This tradition came from my brothers previous tradition of meeting his friends at the press box.

I had a friend that would mark a cross on the back of my helmet before each game. We painted our helmets so the paint was still fresh. This came from me being a scared to death sophomore getting ready to play my first game. He asked what I was scared of...I said getting my head ripped off. So he put a cross on my head. It stuck for the next 31 games.

I have an immense respect for traditions. I am always looking for more. I have many others, but I want to see if the readers of this can pick up on any that include them. Until then, build a tradition. Find something you enjoy and do it with people you enjoy...make it stick, don't force it, just see if it happens.


7 comments:

Scotty Mo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scotty Mo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scotty Mo said...

I would say that you and I have started a tradition of building a rather comfortable lead when we play Jord and Weakland 2 v 2 on the links. But, since it violates rule 1a of the Wentworth Chronicles Traditions Rules, we are, thankfully, in the clear for losing that lead. Unfortunately, that would also make your 50 yard line meeting and helmet cross, not traditions, unless you insert another tradition clause into the Wentworth Chronicles Traditions Rules.

"Sorry to constructively criticize, overanalyze, and bust your balls... It's tradition." Unless, of course, you take it negatively, which by rule 4... ah, you get the point. Great post!

Mike McDonough said...

I'll start with what may be considered a lame tradition. Every year during OSU vs. Michigan week, I wear something Buckeye everyday. This has become a bit harder since becoming an administrator, due to only having one Ohio State tie. However, I find as much scarlet and gray dress shirts and tie combos as I can. If it is not clothing, you will find me with one of my Big 10 Championship rings on everyday. Furthermore, since I've been married, I take my family to the Buckeye Corner for our "Annual" purchase of some type of Buckeye shirt. I know it's may seem dumb, but it helps my cause in brainwashing my girls to be Buckeyes for life!!!

tyler said...

MaryAnn's. We built up 12 years worth of tradition in just three months in Boston.

bww said...

Scotty I figured it would be to catch that. i agree, I broke my own tradition rules. However, since I made them, I'm going to amend them.

Amendment I . If a tradition happens inside of a years time, but is looked back upon with fond memories by all parties involved and happened more than 3 times, then it can be deemed a tradition.

So, mo, we have to lose one more time after holding a comfortable lead over jord and weak. Although, I don't consider those fond.

Due to the amendment, I believe our friday breakfast trips have now become tradition.

Scotty Mo said...

Amendments are great... Friday breakfasts are indeed tradition. When is the tee time for us to eliminate this tradition possibility?