Monday, August 2, 2010

Naive....overly optimistic....or arrogant?


I can't decide which of the three I am when it comes to situations that come my way. When something is presented in my life I typically take the stance that things will turn out in a good way. When I say situations that come my way....I really mean things that I have no control over.

Let's take a golf outing. I play in many golf outings and always think "we're going to win". Even if we start to play poorly, I think the rest of the field is playing poorly, so we will still win. Is it me being overly optimistic? arrogant? or naive?

Let's take buying a raffle ticket. Whether it's a 50/50 , a true raffle, or any type of drawing, I honestly think I'm going to win. I recently entered a raffle, I bought one ticket and thought it was just ridiculous I didn't win. I bought one ticket, one ticket. The odds were monumentally against me. Is it me being overly optimistic? arrogant? or naive?

Let's take horse betting. The first time I placed a horse bet, I won $75. The second time I won $2. It was a good month until I won again. I thought for sure, that when I pick a horse it's a lock that my trotter will cross the line first. I am honestly shocked when I don't win. Why? I don't have a clue what I am doing, yet I think I should win. Is it me being overly optimistic? arrogant? or naive?

Let's take the lottery. I've played the lottery twice in my whole life. I buy one ticket. I have spent two dollars on the lottery. I stayed up both times and watched the numbers come. I was shocked I didn't win. It's so stupid, but honest. Is it me being overly optimistic? arrogant? or naive?

I wonder why I am not this way in real situations in life? Why don't I go into situations that I have control over and think I am going to win? Don't get me wrong, I have a suitable level of confidence, in fact, I'm pretty sure I was an arrogant S.O.B. in high school. So much that I've consciously tried to erase that part of me. The problem is there is a chance of failure, and that failure would be my fault. With all the others, I can blame the millions of other people that bought lottery tickets. If I am an awful 8th grade teacher, I have to blame myself. If I look back at living in the neighborhood or city we choose and it's the wrong choice, I blame myself. So I over analyze every situation to the point that it becomes numbing to those that I confide in. One day I talk to my wife with the attitude that i have everything figured out. The next day I switch my mind. It must be mind numbing for her.

The reason for this rambling collection of thoughts about myself is that I have it all wrong. I just read my buddy Otis's blog, and he posted the quote below, and now I realize that I focus way to much on what I think about the way things should be. So maybe it's being naive, optimistic, and arrogant all in one. Instead of worrying about self failure, I should focus on how I can impact others in a positive way. If everyone did that imagine the world we live in.

"The best legacy you could leave is not some building that is named after you or a piece of jewelry, but rather a world that has been impacted and touched by your presence, your joy, and your positive actions."
-Jon Gordon-


1 comment:

Mike McDonough said...

I like it! Good work sb!