Monday, April 27, 2009

Baby Steps


Lindsey and I went to church this past sunday at the Vineyard like we typically do, we enjoyed the music as usual, commented on the crowd, and once again we we're intrigued by the message. This past sunday Rich Nathan's message has stuck with me more than usual. It was a message about purpose but the underlying theme that I took away was "baby steps". If you haven't heard Rich Nathan speak he has a distinct cadence when he speaks, runs so smoothly together, kinda like that voice that talks over the movie trailers (just not as gravely). He started speaking about people that want to do more things in their lives.... ex:

"If you want to lose weight, then tomorrow morning when you are eating, close your lips"

"If you want your marriage to work, then tomorrow morning be nice to your spouse"

"If you want to pray more, then tomorrow morning pray"

He went on to say it's baby steps. Do it one step at a time. Stop making an excuse for why you can't do this or do that, and simply do it one step at a time....one foot in front of the other. During his message I couldn't stop thinking about Bill Murray in what about Bob, Rich Nathan was becoming my own Dr. Leo Marvin.
Lindsey and I left the Vineyard that sunday and talked about what we heard. We both felt the same conviction, "I need to pray more". So with the baby step philosophy in my head and with a crazy mental patient Bill Murray motto "baby steps" I am going to baby step my way to praying more. I'll focus on one day at a time, tomorrow morning pray, that's it.
What is it you would like to baby step your way too? could be anything....I would love to hear what it is.

1 comment:

Cammi said...

I am inspired by the term "Baby Steps", It was about ten years ago when I used that same analogy on my brother in helping him overcome life situations, and getting to know Jesus personally, I told him the Lord allows us to use "Baby Steps" and honors those "Baby Steps" as giant leaps, because your heart is in the right direction, your steps are towards Him and like the prodical son's story, the Father see's you from a far off, has compassion and runs to you....
As I read..."what "Baby Steps" might you be taking right now," it hits home, little did I know that I would have to begin with "Baby Steps" again.
The last six months, (really last year) I have been hurt badly by those whom I considered to be "Friends."
I believed the best of these people, and I poured out of myself,.. lets just say as quoted by Jesus, "We ought to lay down our lives for our friends."
So I basically did that. In doing so I took a hit.
So now I have to begin baby stepping back to believing the best of these friends that hurt me, and believing the best of other people and continue to go on,
despite the hit's I may take along the way.
A good quarter back knows that it is impossible to not get hit during the game, and he also knows in doing so, (taking a hit) He can score a touch down, heading towards a victory.
So my "Baby Steps" ( I already took the steps of forgivness) is to begin stepping in "Believing the Best" today.