Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Yakin'

A group of 4 guys I teach with decided to go kayaking today.  As you you can see above, much like me, my car is oozing with manliness. Tell me the Nissan people weren't trying to contact me about doing a car ad for them today.  It was a peaceful afternoon in northern Delaware.  We skimmed across the water for a couple of miles, stopping to take in a nature site or two. 

 The three guys I went with were an interesting collection.  Tom, our resident science guy, was our tour guide (whether we wanted one or not). His little anecdotes about the stream, wildlife, and anything else science actually added a whole level of appreciation to the experience that I would have bet been annoying.  Chris is a computer wiz, knows his way around an operating system like Magellan in the open sea. What's crazy is a guy that designs websites and fixes computers is also an avid outdoorsmen.  Somewhere along the line he didn't listen to someone that said "you can do one or the other".  Finally, Theado, he's a fellow football coach and soon to be administrator.  He's that rare person that can be a total screw off one second and totally professional the next,  it's a weird and envious trait.

Basically today served as a recharge.  I was out mixing it up with nature in a hunk of plastic and I kept thinking about the first people that ever stumbled upon all of this.  Lewis and Clark rolling along,  every step a new discovery.  I might not have made any new physical discoveries today, but maybe a few about how to slow life down and enjoy what God gave us.  We did have one thing up on lewis and Clark,  we ended our journey with an icy cold beer,  doubt they did the same.

2 comments:

Martin said...

I must say first off "when did you go to work and do you go to work at all." How does one kayak in the middle of the week. I think I need to recheck my curriculum. Secondly, as a fellow historian i must say that Lewis and Clark may not have had a cold refreshing beer at the end of their voyage. However, they did have one thing that you will never have and that is a hot little Indian friend named Sacagawea.
See following link for more info to enlighten your day.
http://www.lewis-clark.org/content/content-article.asp?ArticleID=1445

bshawise said...

pretty awesome, brenty.