Thursday, May 21, 2009

D.C. aka Barry's Town



For those that do not know I joined our 8th graders this week for a week long trip to our nations capital. 5 days, 4 nights. One might be asking why? I at first answered that with "Because I get a week off teaching"

but I now think so much more.

There is something to be said for the amount of pride that fills that city. It's like a snow globe (minus the snow) of a town that you look at all of the time and it seems so fake and magical. Let me tell you that after years of teaching American History I have looked at pictures and video of these monuments and sites multiple times, but there is something that happens when you walk up to a giant Abraham Lincoln, your breath is taken away. I walked a group of twelve 13 year olds to every major monument, museum, and landmark that city has to offer. Did they see the importance? I hope so. I worry they were more interested in where "judy" was or where they could buy another overpriced DC shirt. At first I was frustrated by this, but then realized, i didn't really get it either when I was that age. It's now that I look at the real tribute we are paying each of these people. Washington was such an important figure we have a .10 mile statue shooting into the sky with an elevator in it. FDR was such an amazing public servant he gets 7 different waterfalls and bronze statues with his words etched into marble ever step of the way. Jefferson was so honored that he gets a monument that is a clear shot view right into the south lawn of the white house so that every President can see his example from their window. (trees were removed so the memorial could always be seen).

And how about the changing of the guard. Are you kidding me? Our troops dedicate so much honor to a fallen unknown soldier that they guard it 24 hours a day and perform a ritual every hour (every half in the summer). The ritual in itself is honorable enough to all of the soldiers. Amazing.

I could write for hours about this trip, seeing the memorial walls, the fact that our bus broke down on the way (sat on the highway for 2 hours) , and standing in the same spot that Dr. King did when he said "I have a dream".

In 8th grade your mind isn't capable of grasping the power this city holds and all of the great people that came through it and left their mark. If you haven't gone since 8th grade, and you care about your nations history, I highly suggest you go back and not worry about where the girls are and buying a DC 09 shirt. I leave you with this video of a street performer on constitution avenue.

1 comment:

Martin said...

Is this video from the Tiffin Fireworks?