Saturday, May 7, 2011

44 (ok maybe just 22)

I heard a report this morning about a man who made it big with his little business. He retired with a large amount of available cash, so he spent the next few years traveling around the world and thanking 44 people that impacted his life in a positive way. This blog really isn't for anyone but me and those 44 people. I am not even sure I have 44 people yet, then again, I am half this guys age. So I am going to go with 22 people. The one qualifier is that I can't pick anyone in my family and the current people I am involved with like close friends and colleagues right now or in the last couple years. The story isn't written on how you have completely impacted my life. So 22 people from my past that impacted me in a positive way: (i encourage you to do the same) This is no order. If I could thank each of them individually I would, and I hope they all know the difference they made in at least one kid's life.

1. Dr. David Allen. My freshman year at U of F Doc was one of my professors. He saw something in me and hired me as his teaching assistant. He and I became close over the four years and he always pushed me to dream big, never settling. He didn't have any sons and I always felt like he viewed me in that way. He passed away two years after I graduated, but I will always remember him.

2. Mr. Todd Edmond. Mr. E was my social studies teacher in high school. By the time I was a senior I still had no idea what I wanted to go into college for. During my senior year I had a history class with him and the light turned on. Mr. E made history fun and made me want to do the same for kids. It was because of that senior year experience and his teaching style that I am teaching the way I do.

3. Mrs. Melissa DeMoss. My high school art teacher. She was a breath of honesty. She told me when I sucked. She told me when I was great. The thing I remember about Mrs. D the most is that she told me when I was being average. Even when I wasn't in her class my senior year, she was a shot of reality for me that my big ego headed self needed. I treat kids the same way now because I realize the long lasting impact it had. Plus she was really freaking fun.

4. Lorraine Mackey (now Smith). She was my high school musical director. She took a high school QB and turned him into Glee. I was opened to an entirely new set of people and kids that makes me appreciate all kids now as a teacher. She took my insecurities and helped me become a more well rounded person. She also got me involved in summer camps helping kids realize they can play sports and be a part of the arts. That was life changing.

5. Cliff Hite. Findlay high school head football coach. You wanna talk about eccentric? Coach Hite was the model of it. Football coach, history teacher, community actor, and now Ohio Senator. I learned about the spread offense from him. Teaching me the insides and outs, making it as easy as PB and J. He showed me how not to take everything so seriously, but have a serious goal.

6. Bill Rietz. SS department chair my first 4 years of teaching. This is the most recent person I think I can post based on the rules. Bill has since retired and I really haven't had much contact in 3 years. Bill sat me down halfway thru my first year of teaching (we shared a room). He asked me what I wanted to get out of teaching. He went on to say that the current way I'm teaching isn't going to result in those goals. He taught me more in that half hour conversation and the first year I was teaching than all the methodology classes combined in college. I grew because of Mr. Rietz. He corrected me when I needed it and because of him I have continued to grow each year.

7. Pastor Rob Mitchell. Rob was my youth pastor. He made liking football and Jesus cool. Sounds silly, but that is what made him to real to me. Here was a guy that loved the packers as a near second to the amount he loved Jesus. I thought that was cool. He left midway thru my school career and I never really grew after that, I think because I was always hoping Rob would return.

8. Coach Hess. My little league and 9th grade football coach. Coach Hess gave me the initial confidence to be a football player. He was my first real coach, other than my dad who I knew already thought the world of me. So here is the guy that I have to impress because I'm not his kid. As little as that level of football really means in the grand scheme, it meant a lot to me that he believed in me and coached me in a positive way.

9. Scott Will. Coach Will was a history teacher, football coach, and an even stronger Christian. In high school you don't have many teachers or coaches that are strong christians. SWill was. He made an impact on me, not necessarily then, but now. He led FCA that I never attended and I don't know why. I look back at the time after time he invited me to come, and I always dissapointed him. Yet he kept asking. Even after school he kept in touch to see how I was doing with life and my walk with Christ. That impacts me to this day with how I handle certain kids.

10. Dr. Denise Callahan. My elementary principal, then my Superintendent. To an elementary kid she was like 7 foot 2. I distinctly remember being called into her office one time for an altercation. She had me sign her book, and if I ever signed that again for getting in trouble it would be an "issue" with her. She taught me that people screw up, but it matters what you do next. She was always so eager to hear how I was doing, even years after elementary school. She cared about kids and teachers and we were lucky to have her.

11. Paula Sehlhorst. My summer custodian boss. She worked in a position that most people take for granted, the school custodian. Former students came back and worked as summer custodians for years before they canceled that program. My brother and I had the pleasure of working for Paula at Krout Elementary. Paula taught me the fine details of making a school look the way it does. I never appreciated the work of a custodian until I worked as one. They put their absolute best into making a school look great for kids and teachers alike, just so we can mess it up. Paula showed me hard work that goes unnoticed isn't any less important.

12-22 to be continued...

No comments: