Monday, May 2, 2011

Price of an opportunity



Tomorrow is a big day. Tuesday May 3rd is the day most people will be going to the polls to punch a ticket for local issues, most notably school levy's. The district Lins and I work in will be one such district. One of the largest districts in the area with 23+ schools, you would think we are pretty secure, but I'm not entirely sold. For the first time in my 29 years I have seen levy signs against the district levy. Vote No signs. Remove myself as a teacher of that district and I want to knock on their door and ask them to have a conversation with me. I want to ask them what their school experience was like growing up. Most likely they didn't deal with programs, sports, arts of all kind being cut. I want to make this clear, I am not writing this to sway votes by any means, in fact I was very worried thinking that this might rally support in a negative light. Then I remembered that I am not the Huffington Post and my 12 readers aren't exactly the Tea Party type.

I totally get someone that would vote no because of their economic standing. It's tough right now, I get that. I'm guessing there were people that had it tough when I was a kid, but they still voted yes for the annual increase in their property tax. I can't put a price value on how much I appreciate that. I am going to the polls tomorrow to vote yes for a levy for the district I currently live in. I have a decent amount of animosity toward that district, but I have more love for the experience those kids deserve. I'll gladly pay a little more in my yearly tax so they can have their music, art, theater, and sports. So young teachers that are willing to take chances and make connections with kids aren't being Rif'd. When I was their age I had families that voted yes for me so I could have that opportunity, I feel like this is a rare time of when I can pay it forward.

I guess tomorrow if the results come in as a loss I will be extremely upset. My wife has a chance of being cut from her position. I have good friends that are almost guaranteed out if it's a no vote majority. Good teachers that love kids and impact them each day. Honestly though, I'll be more upset for the kids. They will lose out on something that I and many others cherish so much. The opportunity to run out onto a field or court. The chance to sing a solo or play an instrument in front of a packed house. Take an art project to state and win or lose, but say you were there. Without operating funds, those opportunities are afterthoughts.

My wife is a tremendous teacher, one I admire very much because of her work ethic, she will land on her feet and find a job. My friends are all great finds, they will get snatched up very quickly. I can't say the same for the kids. Their experiences can't be picked up, they can't relive their freshman year of basketball. They can't ask for their senior season of football back. It's an experience that will stay with them the rest of their lives, but for the wrong reason.

No comments: