Thursday, February 25, 2010

Courage

If you haven't yet, read the the line that is written above. Ok welcome back. Courage is my topic on my mind and not because of myself. I previously wrote a blog about my agent, Mike. Besides being a one man HR department he is the definition of courage. He would shrug that off and say it's stubbornness because he can't take a compliment. Think about a time when you were courageous....now prepare yourself to feel humbled.

Mike is a father of two little girls, they got their mom's good looks, he is an asst. principal, former football coach, and a very very positive guy. Did I mention he has had 10 surgeries.....on his right/ankle foot alone. Mike has a rare condition Charcot Marie Tooth, which I learned is a nerve disease commonly affecting feet. Mike has worn a boot, cast, crutches, you name it, on and off for the last 5 years I've known him. He never complained, never stopped working when he could, and all while letting us give him nicknames like McBoot. Within the last two years he decided to get his ankle fused at 90 degrees, which brought on more and more pain to the point that he was contemplating a steel rod. Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing this post because I want you to feel bad for him, send him cards, or anything...I'm writing it because this week Mike decided to go an even more courageous route by choosing amputation. For the first time since I've known him, Mike is in high spirits about his future walk-abouts. Within 4 weeks from his March surgery, Mike will be able to walk, bounce, and be pain free. I want you to read that line from the poster above again.....Mike is doing the brave thing, and then he's going to run like hell. Thoughts and prayers are with you Mike, not sympathy, just excitement and strength.

1 comment:

Mike McDonough said...

I just try to live my life by playing with the hand I've been dealt. In order to do that I've had to focus on the positives, dwelling on the negatives and feeling sorry for myself does nothing for me and gets me nowhere.